Sunday, December 2, 2012

Bucatini and Pancetta with Lemon Cream Sauce

I love cooking with pancetta.  I find whenever a recipe calls for bacon I will substitute it with pancetta; it is so much more flavorful.  I’ve used it in everything from sauces to Caesar salads to even southern styled collard greens!  I always try to have a package of Mastro’s cube-etti pancetta.  It tastes great and it’s easy to find in any grocery store for about $5.69 per package.  I’m sure there are other companies that sell it however Mastro’s seems to be what everyone carries around Ottawa.

I was also recently turned on to bucatini pasta.  It is very similar to spaghetti but a little heartier.  One of my favorite recipes for bucatini and pancetta is Bucatini All’Amatriciana, but I’ll write about that another day. 

I recently came across this very simple recipe that can be made in 20 minutes or less depending on how you like to cook your pasta.  Personally I prefer my pasta al dente.  The hint of lemon in the cream sauce combined with the saltiness of the pancetta and parmesan cheese makes for a deliciously light meal that can be made in minutes that will surely impress any dinner guest.  Next time I make this recipe I might even try substituting the pancetta with another of my favorite Italian cured meats, prosciutto di Parma.  Enjoy!

Bucatini & Pancetta with Lemon Cream Sauce
Ingredients (yields 4 servings)
  • 8 oz dry bucatini
  • 1 pkg. (128g) “cube-etti” pancetta
  • 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
  • ½ cup chicken broth
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
  • 2 Tbsp. minced lemon zest, divided
  • ½ tsp. grated nutmeg
  • Salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
Directions
  1. Cook bucatini in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions, drain
  2. In a large pan sauté pancetta in butter over medium heat until slightly crisp.  When finished set pancetta aside in a bowl lined with a paper towel.  Add broth, cream, lemon juice, 1 Tbsp of zest and nutmeg.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for an additional 2 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat
  3. Add bucatini, pancetta and Parmesan cheese to sauce then combine
  4. Garnish each serving with remaining lemon zest and parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment